GST (Goods and Services Tax) Council has allowed the usage of Aadhaar number as proof to obtaining GST registration. Now dealers can make GST Registration with Aadhar Card Number, this decision is taken in 1st meeting of GST Council after the PM Narendra Modi government comes in power again. All the businesses will be allowed to use Aadhaar for registering themselves on the GST portal @ gst.gov.in.
The GST council has extended the tenure of anti-profiteering authority by 2 years. Moreover, the council has imposed a penalty of upto 10% on businesses not passing on benefits of rate cuts to consumers. The GST council extended the timelines for filing annual returns under the GST regime by 2 months to 30 August 2019.
The one-form new GST return filing system would be applicable from 1 January 2020. GST Council has eased the enrollment process for new firms and allowed usage of 12 digit Aadhaar number to get registration. Aadhaar number is a 12-digit number issued by the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) to the residents of India.
GST Registration by Aadhar Card Number
The announcements made by the GST Council are as follows:-
- Businesses can now use Aadhaar card number to register with GST network at gst.gov.in
- The tenure of National Anti-Profiteering Authority (NAA) has been extended by 2 more years till 30 November 2021. This will ensure companies to pass on benefits of lower GST rates to consumers. After rolling out of GST on 1 July 2017, the govt. had approved setting up of NAA for 2 years to deal with complaints by consumers against companies for not passing on GST rate cut benefits. NAA was formed on 30 November 2017 and till date, NAA has passed 67 orders in various cases and complaints.
- GST Council headed by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and comprising of representatives of all states and Union Territories also approved an electronic invoicing system and e-ticketing in multiplexes. The electronic invoicing system would be rolled out in a phase-wise manner for B2B transactions.
- In the GST Council meeting, govt. also approves to impose penalty of upto 10% of profiteered amount on entities for not passing on benefits of GST rate cuts to consumers. Currently, govt. levy a maximum fine of Rs. 25,000.
- Moreover, the date for filling annual returns under GST regime has been extended by 2 months.
In the previous system, people had to submit proof of identity, proof of address and several other documents. The applicants can now go online and can register on the GSTN portal to obtain the GST registration number using their Aadhaar number and OTP authentication.